In a special bonus episode, George Lea returns to the show, this time to watch and discuss seminal 80's horror movie (and just maybe the greatest horror sequel ever) Hellbound: Hellraiser 2! In a wide ranging and passionate discussion, listen out for:
- IT - the book and film - and the storytelling of the book (including spoilers)
- New Line logo, associative fear, and THAT opening
- That amazing score
- Fearless expansion of the mythology
- “Don’t look in the box!”
- Sounds of delighted disgust
- Clive Barker and fairy tale logic
- Open brain surgery
- The brilliance of Kenneth Cranham
- The horrific rebirth
- Why Julia is a better villain than Frank
- “Come to mother!”
- ‘Russellian elements”
- What would Larry’s hell look like?
- The way the films make the Cenobites sympathetic antagonists without compromising their monstrosity
- Julia just owning Frank
- The differences between Channard and Pinheads sadism
- Will IT give us the return of mainstream horror?
- The Hellraiser III that never was
- Just how cine-literate this film is
Enjoy, and thank you for listening.
Why Robocop is the greatest movie ever made.
Georges superb blog, Strange Playgrounds, can be found here.
Theme tune provided by The Disciples of Gonzo, from their track Superhero. Listen to more from them here:
If you'd like to hear the next episode of the show 7 days ahead of everyone else, PLUS weekly bonus and/or exclusive written content, for as little as $1 a month, please check out my Patreon here: